Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homeschool Project Lesson #2: DIGITAL BLACK & WHITE (Part 2)

So you have your pretty digital color photo shot in RAW with the lowest ISO possible. What now? If you’re like me, you import your shot into iPhoto and hit the Black and White button, and….ta daaaaa!

But wait, apparently this is not the only, nor the best, method for going monochrome. I really had every intention of writing up an amazing tutorial on different black and white techniques but then I found THIS and I thought, why reinvent the wheel? There may be one too many advertisements on this page, but if you can ignore those, the information is really comprehensive and simple to understand. You can even use some of these techniques in flickr’s post-processing program picnik.com.

So, instead of writing up a tutorial I decided to put my efforts into trying out each technique on the same photo and posting the results for you to compare. I suggest you do the same (posting them as a collage in our flickr group) and maybe collectively we can come to a consensus on what techniques work best for what kinds of shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment